Thursday, February 4, 2010

Global Issues

The readings and videos assigned to us this week were fabulous. I learned so much. I have never been the kind of person who paid much attention to the global world. Unfortunately, I am guilty of selfishly becoming glued into my own world and not deviating from what it presents to me. Don't get me wrong, I follow the news enough to be made aware of the big events, but most other topics escape my thoughts completely. This class has really challenged me to think outside of my normal box and I have already adopted new interests.

First of all, I consider myself a very compassionate, empathetic person. When my professior in undergrad covered the importance of acquiring this trait as a Dietitian, I already had it covered. I am not trying to sound boastful, but many people often refer to me as "Sweet." In fact within the Nutrition Services Department, I was recently granted the "Dietary Sweetness Award." At times, I know that my soft-spoken self has them fooled. :) However, the issue of poverty, and unequal access to health care has been a topic close at heart. When working my former WIC position and even with my current position, I am often humbled at just how great I have had it in my life. Growing up, I never had much, but I came from a loving, supportive family and we always had what we needed. It breaks my heart when I cannot provide education or help to someone in my community because of lack of money. Our hospital does not allow me to educate for free, unless of course, the patient goes through the proper channels--applying for financial assistance and then qualifying. And you can't blame them....they are just another hospital trying to survive! In general, just being aware of global issues such as poverty and unequal access to healthcare, make me a more empathetic Dietitian and a more caring and driven person.

The concepts presented in the Shift Age explain how technology will continue to get better and better and therefore, I will most likely have to keep adapting and changing my processes because my work environment will require it. I have talked about how my facility is building a new facility. With this change comes, new and better technology. I will have to learn it and then when it is obsolete, relearn.

I really enjoyed learning the concepts Thomas Friedman presents in the video, The World is Flat. He really stretched my mind and made me view technology and our history in a whole new light. The concepts he presented about the Green Revolution or the Green Party, as he calls it, that we are currently in are very interesting. I have joined the Green Team at my facility. In about 8 months, our goal is to become a much more green facility. This impacts me a lot as Nutrition Services Director because the disposable products we currently buy are mostly styrofoam. We have not yet made the switch to more eco-friendly disposables because the cost for this is more than double the amount of our foam products. I am anxious to make the change, but am also waiting on guidance from my supervisors above me. This is a concept that I plan to carry over into my personal life. My husband and I will be more green in 2010. :)

Lastly, we all are anxiously awaiting the effects of the new Healthcare reform that we talk so much about. This will most likely impact me more professionally than personally. I have a better understanding of why our healthcare system is the way it is after watching the documentary, Sick Around the World. If the US does not put more limits on the profits that drug and medical companies, practitioners, facilities...etc make, our government is going to be spending more and more on healthcare and our taxes will get higher and higher. We are in need of a more efficient system and a big change. One thing is for sure, I am thankful it is not my responsibility to come up with such a change.

Until next week,

Christina

1 comment:

  1. Christina - glad you have opened your eyes to the Global environment. Even living in a small town, you and your children will be impacted!

    Dr. B:)

    ReplyDelete